Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
skmccarthy

A Dramatic Kitchen Makeover with Paint

skmccarthy
11 years ago
My inspiration began with houzz ! We purchased a home (built in 1988) that had all white walls and a kitchen that had white everywhere; cabinets, floors, and counters! I wanted a "wow" factor in the kitchen to break up all the white but could not afford a costly makeover with 2 sons in college. As a "DIYer", I found a beautiful glass tile backsplash at Lowes that I installed with "simple mat" (a double sided adhesive used to apply the tiles to the wall), and painted the kitchen and family room to tie in with the colors throughout the home; family room is BM Pittsfield Bluff (HC-24) and kitchen is BM Taos Taupe (2111-40).

Comments (16)

• PRO
    Gabberts Design Studio
    11 years ago
    You have done an amazing job of making the kitchen feel warm and inviting. It was so cold and sterile before. It's amazing what a bit of paint and some tile can do!
  • apple_pie_order
    11 years ago
    That looks great!
  • User
    11 years ago
    Behold the power of paint. Beautiful!
  • PRO
    Reico Kitchen & Bath
    11 years ago
    Great color choices - very warm & well thought out!
  • Ronda Potter
    11 years ago
    Looks great!! Love the backsplash and the paint color with the decor!
  • PRO
    Dytecture
    11 years ago
    Nice contrast with the wall and cabinets.
  • sparklemehappy
    11 years ago
    Love the colors and the added glass backsplash.
  • DIAspoton
    11 years ago
    now you're an inspiration! how tough was it doing the backsplash? any tips?
  • onthefence
    11 years ago
    Your subject title says it all and you're spot on with every word. I agree with DIAspoton - now YOU"RE the inspiration! Your paint and tile choices are just perfect and make this an entirely different room. I really like the items you've put above your cabinets as well. They're large enough to make a statement, you've done just a couple and they don't overwhelm the upper part of your kitchen. They just bling it up a bit ;-)

I have to say too that high contrast tile colors aren't always my first choice. In your kitchen though it works perfectly and I can't imagine anything else. With the large expanses of the colors youv'e used and the fact that your cabinets don't have a huge amount of detail, the tile you chose is just perfect!

Really well done!
  • skmccarthy
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Thank you....and so ironic you mentioned "high contrast tile" as not your favorite....not my favorite either! I actually painted the walls first, then wanted one more pop of excitement in the kitchen knowing a remodel was not in the near future. As I was wandering through the big box stores, I saw this tile backsplash which has a gorgeous carrera marble look and I fell in love with it. As an artist, because I am so visual, when it hits me, it REALLY hits me!
  • rachealy
    11 years ago
    That\s amazing! When I saw the first picture I was like "how could that possibly look good with paint?" Then I saw the new kitchen and I am amazed!!!
  • PRO
    Paradise Restored Landscaping & Exterior Design
    11 years ago
    Fun - like your vision!
  • Ed
    10 years ago
    Hi skMccarthy, the new paints are very nice! Congrats!
  • PRO
    Wallmark Custom Homes
    10 years ago
    Looks great! Nice choice for the paint colour.
  • Alan & Jona Denz-Hamilton
    7 months ago

Wow--that does the trick. Instant interest!