Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kimber123

Can I paint the old stone on the front of my home?

Kim Valerio
11 years ago
Has any ever painted the stone on exterior. I would like to update the colors of the stone. The siding is a very pale creamy yellow. The stone is 70's gold. Any ideas would be appreciated. Thank you

Comments (23)

• PRO
    Dytecture
    11 years ago
    I agree, try changing the siding color first.
  • PRO
  • mariabennie
    11 years ago
    Paint the stone! If u don't like it now you never will. It's always going to bother you. Good luck.
  • Claudianne Young
    11 years ago
    I think you could. We painted our stone fireplace twenty something years ago. Just work with a local paint store for products and colors.
  • Kivi
    11 years ago
    I agree that the siding is the issue, not the stone. The roof also looks like it might be time for a redo. I would also consider some landscape work to freshen things up.
  • PRO
    The Color People
    11 years ago
    Painting the stone will simply look awful. It will still look like stone but just look strange. As noted above a new siding color is the key. Pick a siding color that blends with the stone color. Also changing the trim from dark brown to an off white will make the stone the darkest color on the house and give it more of the character stone can give a home.
  • DIAspoton
    11 years ago
    kivi is right. leave the stone alone. pressure wash or replace the roof. your place is seriouslyly in need of landscaping.
  • Kim Valerio
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    thanks for all the input. a siding change is very expensive. i am contemplating painting the siding. i decided to paint the stone and got a new roof # hail damage! removed landscaping and diseased giant oak trees. now working on new landscaping.
  • Kim Valerio
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    replaced the old deck with a stamped patio, stone siding on rear of house.
  • Kim Valerio
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Did a total update

• Kim Valerio
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Final pic with new stone

• arcy_gw
    2 years ago

WOW your home looks great--the siding/garage!! Your new stone--where this began..the pic really doesn't show what it is? DARK but what?

• Kim Valerio
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Sorry I couldn’t get the picture to load

• Kim Valerio
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Stone

• Valinta
    2 years ago

While there are some good pro/con comments regarding painting the stone, is it possible to remove the stone and replace with a stone or brivk you do like? Can’t tell if this is an actual stone edifice or a stone veneer.

• Kim Valerio
    Original Author
    2 years ago

I tried to love the original stone but it was orange. I was happy with the painted stone but in hindsight I should have lime washed it instead. I had to replace it because it started falling out when we removed the siding. I felt at times that I was on a runaway freight train. I tried to stay true to the era of my home by replacing the original cedar trim around garage , windows and door and just adding the black Simpson clips for update. The stone is cultured from Centurian stone company.

• arcy_gw
    2 years ago

It all looks fabulous!!!

• felizlady
    2 years ago

The roof in your original photo is badly discolored. Did you replace the roof, too?

• Kim Valerio
    Original Author
    2 years ago

The roof was discolored with mold from the trees. We were able to have that cleaned with a company that sprays an enzyme on it and cleans that off it worked great, and we had a clean roof for another 6 years before hail damage allowed us the opportunity to get a new roof. The roof looked great and cost around $400 to clean

• hbeing
    last year
    last modified: last year

original = #BradyBunchHouse

• arcy_gw
    last year

These photos are a study in what a disaster painting stone is. The version with the grays--just did not work IMPO. It really looked like some prefab fake brick vs the richness of the original. In the end replacing it all, going back to the brown family really elevated the look of your home.

• PRO
    FrameMyMirror
    last year

Wow it looks amazing! Great job!