Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sdelisio14

Paint Permastone Exterior

sdelisio14
8 years ago
last modified: 8 years ago

The home my wife and I just purchased has an unattractive permastone exterior (likely added on in the 60s/70s). We do not have the funds to remove it and are looking instead at painting it a light color. Does anyone have any experience painting permastone? Does painting over faux stone come out looking like crap or can it be done well? If so, how would you recommend we tackle the project and which materials should we use? Any advice would help!

Comments (28)

• emmarene9
    8 years ago

I can't comment on the stone. Somewhere down the road the roofing will need replaced. When it does please remove the dreadful gable. It is not original and looks ridiculous. Keep the eagle.

sdelisio14 thanked emmarene9
  • PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    8 years ago

I would not do that I don’t think it will last.

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

Here is your home without the gable and the shutters and the wrought iron. Bring back those lovely wood roof details.

If you want to change the color of the permastone, I might consider a brick stain instead of paint. Less maintenance issues and the irregular shades might transfer through the stain and make the appearance more appealing.

http://www.spray-net.com/en/exterior-painting-service/exterior-siding/brick/

sdelisio14 thanked BeverlyFLADeziner
  • grapefruit1_ar
    8 years ago

Wow, Beverly, that looks great!

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    8 years ago

Thanks, grapefruit1_ar, it's a cute house. I don't think those windows are original either. New windows could make a world of difference on the house.

• sdelisio14
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Thanks all! Great responses. I agree with removing the gable (keeping the eagle, of course @emmarene !) when the roof is up for replacement. We plan to remove the shutters immediately and hopefully swap the iron railings with wood (potentially tapered pillars if they don't look too fat). Good landscaping advice @grapefruit!_ar

As for painting the permastone, can anyone explain WHY it shouldn't be done? Would it not hold or look tacky? I am really struggling with this one and want to get away from the multi-tone permastone look badly. If we DO paint, could you recommend a process or materials to use?

Also, a few of the wood board on the porch are split and need to be replaced. One of them is directly under the iron railing. Any advice on how to replace that without compromising the roof support? Are these railings actually supporting anything?

• emmarene9
    8 years ago

The railings keep accident prone people like me from falling off the high porch. I simply do not know what Permastone is. That is why I said no comment.

• B Bert
    8 years ago
    FWIW Where I'm from, an eagle attached to a house meant the mortgage was paid off.
  • katinparadise
    8 years ago

If you mean the wood is rotted under the post, versus the railing, those posts are likely holding up your porch roof. You'll need temporary roof supports placed closed to where the posts are in order to support the roof while the new posts and railings are put into place. As far as painting the permastone, I'd consult with a professional exterior painter to get his opinion as to whether or not painting it is feasible. I understand wanting to get away from the multiple colors of the stone, but IMO, painting it all the same color will just look like you were trying to cover something up. I feel as though the right wood accents and landscaping, as well as removing the gable at some point, will be a better bet. Good luck with your project!

• chiflipper
    8 years ago

Did you perform ANY research before posting this question??? I suggest you do so. Permastone is not like 'siding' as we think of it today. It is much more like stucco in the way it is applied. Short answer is yes, it can be painted with a quality paint formulated for stucco.

• terry toon
    8 years ago
    . . .
    sdelisio14 thanked terry toon
  • sdelisio14
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Hell. Yes. @terry toon

• emmarene9
    8 years ago

If painting is possible I'd do it with no remorse.

sdelisio14 thanked emmarene9
  • Claire
    7 years ago
    Hi,

I'm dealing with the same issue right now, I had spray-net painting out last weekend and learned that my faux-stone facade won't accept masonry stain. This however is because my facade is very very shiny. I have landscape, front porch and roofing plans but I feel like I need to figure out a remedy for my very dated angelstone/permastone before I move forward with other curb appeal projects. I believe my next step is to get a few stucco quotes. Everything I've read online leads me to believe that taking the facade off will harm the structural integrity of the yellow bricks it was applied to.
  • Marie Hall
    4 years ago

Could you put siding over it maybe?

• Kevin S
    3 years ago

I have permastone on my house too. Can’t find anyone that has painted it. No advice on what to do with it. Head scratching hard on this would hate to screw it up

• mkoebrich1425
    3 years ago

I think you have a little Craftsman style home that’s been muddled a few times. Look at the little dormer...you might consider doing some research on the elements that would have been original and think about restoring the house. Probably clapboard or shake shingles originally and a sweet porch with railings and posts.

• Claire
    3 years ago

Hi Kevin,

Does your permastone absorb water or repel it?

I’ve since noticed that my permastone has been treated with some sort of silicone based seal that makes it unpaintable. I’ve removed the shutters, and done some other work on the house and can see that its not original to the stone, and it’s some sort of coating they was applied after installation that is making mine unpainatble/unstainable.

I’ve modernized the trim and door colours and lighting fixtures and decided to live with my fake stone as is.

I’ll try to remember to take an updated picture tomorrow!

I think you could embrace the stone and then choose one other finish/colour for the other parts of the house, I see brick siding, shingle siding and the taupe on the porch that might be stucco? Simplify!

• nx1101
    3 years ago

Does anyone know what specific type of paint works best on formstone?

• Susan Sease
    3 years ago

Can you test a concrete stain on one of the stones in a low unnoticeable area to see how it holds up?

• Stephanie Lollar
    3 years ago

Look into a product called Romabio Lime Wash

• Kevin S
    3 years ago

Yes my permastone absorbs water so I could stain it. Might just have to tray it on the bottom side of an area. Was thinking about repointing with new very light gray and stain each individual block slightly different to make it look a little non 60’s permastone like

• Kevin S
    3 years ago

Found this house down the street from another project I’m doing, that is quite similar to the one I posted. It may help anybody because that is in this dilemma because I have googled everything possible to figure this out and can’t find pictures

• emmarene9
    3 years ago

Do you think that was Permastone? Whatever it was I think it is better now.

• J Dean
    11 days ago

i know this is an old thread, but i recently bought a house that has what i believe Perma-stone siding. the house was built in the 1950 so around the right time i believe. There is cracks running vertically from the corner of the windows. Someone previously tried to seal the cracks and i think the stone absorbed whatever was used because the area around the crack appears darker. Please any advice on how to fix this/ paint it back to its normal color!

• J Dean
    11 days ago

i know this is an old thread, but i recently bought a house that has what i believe Perma-stone siding. the house was built in the 1950 so around the right time i believe. There is cracks running vertically from the corner of the windows. Someone previously tried to seal the cracks and i think the stone absorbed whatever was used because the area around the crack appears darker. Please any advice on how to fix this/ paint it back to its normal color!

• PRO
    HALLETT & Co.
    10 days ago

It looks like they may have used silicone. If you wet the wall with a hose does it immediately bead up on the darker areas?