Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
olivermurphy

Buttresses in basement

ReMax - Lisa
9 years ago

We had a design dilemma as to how to incorporate these concrete buttresses into our lower level rec room. They were necessary as this room is an addition to the original foundation. Turned out great, just gave our contractor free reign!

you would never know they weren't meant to be there. (Note: TV will be mounted on barn board so it is more evenly placed and still some painting left to complete.)

Comments (17)

• PRO
    OTM Designs & Remodeling Inc.
    9 years ago
    Looks very inviting, great job!
    ReMax - Lisa thanked OTM Designs & Remodeling Inc.
  • nonniekae
    9 years ago

Great job!!! I really do like this room!

ReMax - Lisa thanked nonniekae
  • PRO
    Gilmans Kitchens and Baths
    9 years ago

Great functionality applied to these! The room looks amazing!

ReMax - Lisa thanked Gilmans Kitchens and Baths
  • nandix
    9 years ago

What paint colors did you use on the walls? Beautiful job!

ReMax - Lisa thanked nandix
  • Juliette S
    9 years ago

Beautiful! Can you give me info on the floor?

ReMax - Lisa thanked Juliette S
  • Judi Tringale
    9 years ago

Wall color??

• PRO
    User
    9 years ago

I love the creativity!

ReMax - Lisa thanked User
  • PRO
    ReMax - Lisa
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks All! - We are very happy with the end results. The flooring is porcelain tiles from Lowes - not expensive - I think only $2.99/SF - they are awesome, especially since the floor beneath them is heated. The wall colour is BM Collingwood - my favourite neutral - goes with absolutely everything!

• peoplerpeople
    9 years ago

Love it!

ReMax - Lisa thanked peoplerpeople
  • apsuperman
    9 years ago

I am going to copy this look for my basement - love it. Love the built-ins as well. Make the space look much bigger with minimal furniture. Can you tell me exactly which tile from Lowes it is and what color grout was used ?

ReMax - Lisa thanked apsuperman
  • PRO
    ReMax - Lisa
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks again - we do have a furnished area in front of the TV- see attached.

The tiles from Lowes are called Stone Peak Ceramics Inc. 6 x 24" Tumbleweed glazed porcelain floor tile, and the grout is Ivory colour. Good luck!

Try this link...http://www.lowes.ca/floor-tile/stonepeak-ceramics-inc-6-in-x-24-in-american-naturals-tumbleweed-glazed-porcelain-floor-tile_g1549512.html?linkLoc=quickView

• valster53
    8 years ago

Perfect example of turning lemons into lemonade. Thanks for sharing.

ReMax - Lisa thanked valster53
  • PRO
    May Construction, Inc.
    8 years ago
    Amazing job! Love how you took a potential negative and made it an awesome (functional) addition to your space!
  • Kerry Brown
    8 years ago

i would like to know what the floor is. tile, wood, other?

• PRO
    ReMax - Lisa
    Original Author
    8 years ago

It is porcelain tiles - 6 X 24"

• PRO
    Basement Finishing & Design Service, INC
    8 months ago
    last modified: 8 months ago

Great job hiding the concrete bench walls as I see them called. Clever built-ins! These are not really a buttress but work in a similar way I believe. It appears this area of the basement may have been a crawl space at one point and the bench walls are added to support footings and to then lower the floor in most cases. Just a guess viewing the limited photos. FYI: Attached is an image of typical buttress walls in a basement. Who was the clever contractor? If anyone needs a professional design for any basement to look as nice also hiding buttress walls, bench walls, post, beams, ducts or you name it, just contact me.