Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jgarzasr

advice.... which window manufacure to go with

jgarzasr
17 years ago

We are building our home this summer, and have come down to two choices for windows manufacture that we will go with. First is Pella Designer series - which is the tripane w/ third pane being the popout which blinds can go in. We are also getting the most efficient options installed. They run for our total window package about 10-11k. The other manufacture that we are interested in is Accurate Dorwin out of Canada. They are a fiberglass windows w/ tripane and warm edge spacers, and are a true three pane w/ most efficient options. They run about 12-15k for total window package. After researching a lot of complaints about Pella windows - we are leaning towards the accurate dorwin line. We are located in Michigan - so are looking for a real efficient window - but also quality and long lasting. Thanks for any replies.

Comments (24)

• arebella
    17 years ago

I'd be interested in this as well. Our builder is recommending the Pella wood windows, and has told us they are expensive but worth it if really want wood. I've seen the Pella he's installed in a spec house he has for sale and love them, but he's also said we can save thousands by going to vinyl or composite since we're using all painted trim and white windows. He's recommended Jeld Wen or Atria if we decide to use vinyl or composite.

Your thoughts?

• eventhecatisaboy
    17 years ago

Well, I only have experience with Pella replacements for our casements. My Pella's are 11 years old. I've had two replaced this year because of rot, yes warranty was expired. I do not know a lot about window mechanics so forgive my ignorance, but on every single window, we have had problems with the major screw coming out and becoming stripped. It is the screw that attaches the arm from the bottom part of the window and the screw itself is placed on the bottom/outside sill, (hope that makes sense). I looked at the newer Pella windows at a home show this year, and those arms and screws are even cheaper feeling than our current ones. I do not care for the handle that folds in, nor do I care for the screens. I will not be putting them into our new home.

We are leaning towards Anderson or Jeld-Wen or maybe even a local company. Good luck!

• arebella
    17 years ago

Thanks for the info. We have some Anderson casements in the house we're in now and have the exact same problem with the opening mechanism that you're describing. Maybe it's an issue of the mechanics involved with casement windows rather than a specific manufacturer. We had the same problem with casements in the house we had before this one.

We have heard very good things about Jeld Wen windows in general. I would have never considered a vinyl or composite window until they were recommended to us by several different people who have them and by builders who have installed them.

• bj_inatlanta
    17 years ago

Just important as the glazing for energy efficiency are the frames. Checking all the independent ratings, solid fiberglass (pultruded fiberglass--NOT fiberglass over a wood composite) are the most energy efficient and give the tightest seal.

Several brands--esp. up your way. We're specifying Fiberframe. Look on their website.

• jgarzasr
    Original Author
    17 years ago

So does anyone have any opinions on the Pella designer series??? .... or would I be better off going w/ the fiberglass Accurate Dorwin for a little higher price? Thanks.

• cyafishin
    17 years ago

We are 2 months away from moving into a new arts and crafts style bungalow w/ Pella designer wood windows. Mostly double hung and some casements. They are expensive but when you're building an "old" new home vinyl doesn't cut it. We had no problems w/ ordering and install. They look and operate great. About half of ours are stained to match the cvg fir trim. The wood used is nice. We used the red (cranberry) colored cladding w/ the simulated divided lights (3 over 1).

If you are building a generic new home and planning on painting all your interior trim, save the 15k and go w/ vinyl.

• bj_inatlanta
    17 years ago

We have the Pella designer series in a french door. Did not install the shade-between glass. If you are planning to do the shades, be aware that it is recommended that you remove the inner glass pane annually to clean out the dust on and around the blinds. Which makes you question how tight a seal you've got on double-pane windows. Have no problems with the doors themselves, but they're only 3 years old. In the new house we won't use them, though. Solid fiberglass frames are so superior energywise. We have energy efficiency concerns here in the South, related to summer cooling as well as winter heating.

• galore2112
    17 years ago

I'd also recommend fiberglass or vinyl windows over wood.

Wood may look nice and expensive (and it is) but a window should last the lifetime of the house and be energy efficient. I have yet to see a wood window that lasts without warping or rotting.

I grew up in Austria, where vinyl tilt-n-turn windows are standard from companies like Internorm, Actual or Gaulhofer (http://www.tntwindows.com/vinyl_windows.htm). Those are very high quality. Compared to a Pella or Anderson casement window it is like a Mercedes compared to a Yugo. My parents have 20-year old triple pane Internorm (http://www.internorm.co.uk/) vinyl
    tilt-n-turn windows, which look like new and work flawlessly. I am currently looking into building in Dallas and am seriously considering importing them.

Here is a link that might be useful: Gaulhofer

• hilltop_gw
    17 years ago

Well,we put in Pella's 11 years ago. These only have 2 panes w/ miniblinds--they're not the Designers, but they're not the lower builder grade that you get at Menards either. We'd had Pella in our prior home & got along great so were a little surprised but not concerned when the current windows only came with a 1 year warranty. But now I wish we had more. We've replaced one due to rot and have the beginning of similar problems on others. I'm not too pleased with Pella right now.

• arebella
    17 years ago

Thanks for all the good advice from everyone on both sides. There is no better source of information that from those who have gone before!

• sue36
    17 years ago

I would RUN from Pella. A good friend of mine just had them put in his house and it has been a disaster. From the quality (or lack thereof) of the windows to major issues with the install from a Pella branded store (which, by the way, is not owned by Pella, so Pella won't do a thing when you have issues), it's been a nightmare.

• jasonmi7
    17 years ago

Personally, I'd stay away from Peachtree. I build here in Michigan and use nothing but Pella and Andersen. I'd never buy a window that didn't have a strong local track record and local support. I had an issue with a 10-year old Andersen door once; but they replaced it on their dime within two weeks of my claim.

• chisue
    17 years ago

For those whose windows have had water problems, was it the windows themselves or poor installation? (We've had a ton of complaints about poor flashing on the forum.)

Our Pella windows and french doors are six years old. We have double-panes with shades, not blinds, between; also muntins. Not sure if they were "Designer". The doors are 8-foot X 36" wide, so maybe some other name?

Anyway, they've been fine. Yes, once a year we have a window washer do all four sides -- more to clean the glass than the shades. Screens are internal. On two of our 15 french doors the shade strings are getting difficult. They have been raised and lowered A LOT, especially in summer.

There are two ways to look at windows as far as their value to a buyer one day. Many buyers simply expect a house to "have windows" and don't think a lot about them. Some buyers, of more high-end properties, are impressed by brand name windows. I never saw a listing talk about off-brand windows, but I have seen some that stress that the windows are "Pella". (Many people don't know there are different grades of Pella.)

• luckymom23
    17 years ago

Understanding that I am only in the planning stages and still trying to learn and gather info - my 2 cents:
    We are in Oregon and currently have "Pozzi" wood casements in our home. They are about 28 years old. They are locally made and high quality. They are a lifetime window with proper installation and maintenance. When we moved into this house we had some repaired by a local company and they offer a yearly maintenance program but we have not used that. The ones that had to be repaired had issues because of abuse/neglect and installation issues. I love the look of the wood windows and if we can fit it into our budget would go that way, my husband prefers low-maintenance vinyl.
    I have asked around when I have been at Home Depot and another place that carried multiple brands and asked the most experienced salesperson I could find-"If you were building your own home what would you choose?" (They know what they have problems with after the sale.) I was told Milgard for vinyl and Anderson for the aluminum clad wood products. Jeld Wen is a local company and I have been warned away from it twice by contractors. I have been told by a builder, a home remodeler and a person who teaches classes on construction management who also builds and remodels that the most important thing with windows is that they be properly installed and the service after they are installed. The advice was to go with a locally manufactured window if at all possible and try to get 'factory trained' installers. The idea being that if you have problems you will likely get a rep from the manufacturer involved and that they will back up the windows only if they were installed to manufacturer's specs. The other suggestion was that a copy of the manufacturer's installation specs be provided to the installer and be made a part of the contract so that if it were done incorrectly you would have somewhere to go with your issues later. Of course if there is a product that your builder recommends it is likely that his crew is familiar with it.
    I don't know if any of that helps, I personally would be curious to know what everyone is paying for their 'window package' and if the price includes installation or if their framers are doing the install? If anyone responds maybe include your sqare footage or number of openings or something as a reference and the type of windows.
    Thanks!

• jgarzasr
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thanks for all the feedback. My wife and I kind of were leaning towards Pella windows - mainly for price, and also because we liked the wood interior, third pane for blind, and efficiency. But after much research, I think we are going to go with the Accurate Dorwin manufacture. They are more expensive - however I think the window is a better built window w/ more options - and also will be a lot more efficient. One thing that I think is a major design feature that Pella windows lack, and some of the major brands - are the warm edge spacers. Plus we are building a strawbale home, and we want to go with the most efficient we can get w/ the budget we have.

• jasonmi7
    17 years ago

You're not really building a strawbale house in Michigan, are you?

• cookingpassion
    17 years ago

We have Pella Designer and Architect series windows. We like them very well and have not have problems with them thanks to some kind souls (Rollie) who helped us with our flashing problems. We just moved in so cannot comment on the longevity of the windows. Around here, builders are mostly using Pellas or Andersons. Our builder will not use anything but Pellas because he likes them.

If you would like some pics of the Designer windows, I can take them...let me know.

• jasonmi7
    17 years ago

That damn Rollie is always trying to steal my thunder.

• autumn_mi
    17 years ago

No experience with the 2 brands you are considering - but my advice is to stay away from Hurd - that is what we put in and we HATE them - they don't shut tight and are hard to open (we've been in the house 18 months). If I was doing it again I would put in all weather seal - we had vinyl replacements put in our previous house and loved them - plus their service was great when we had to use the lifetime glass breakage guarantee:-)
    And I'm near Flint Michigan.

Autumn

• jgarzasr
    Original Author
    17 years ago

jasonmi7,

not to get off on another topic - but yes we are incorporating straw bales into our new home build. It is a modified post and beam with straw bales being used as insulation around first floor exterior walls. I see you are a builder here in Michigan - so I am sure you have your opinions on this? However, this home will be super insulated and we are banking on very low utility bills. This is one of the reasons for us looking for the most efficient windows, as they are thermal holes. The Accurate Dorwin windows are a true tripane window w/ warm edge spacers. The U-value runs around .20 to .24.

• jstevens
    16 years ago

Building a home in NC. My builder has Pella in his home. Last Friday we visited the Pella store in Charolette to select finishes etc.

I got the double pane (with low E) with a third pane which actuall contains the mini-blind or room darkening shade. All brass hardware.

I skipped the extra cost thin wire window screens and the screen doors on the Pella Patio doors (windows next to these will provide ventilation). Seems like a good warranty and Pella inspects the builders installation.

Cost a lot extra than builder's grade but the features seem worth it.

• buzzsaw
    16 years ago

I also wanted efficient windows for my home. We ended up with Vetter. They're made in Wisconsin. (I believe they are now owned by Peachtree.) I like (but do not love) our windows and doors. Aethetics are great. Operation is ok. Efficiency is never enough no matter the specs.

We picked them for 2 primary reasons. First their efficiency specs were equal to or better than the big three. Second, they were the only one of those we researched that offered Alder; which is our wood of choice for millwork. I give their double hungs, single doors, and casements a B+, but their sliders and double wide french doors a B-.

Here is a link that might be useful: Vetter

• Jorge Cardenas
    12 days ago

@brooke

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths