Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
barbara_bloomfield

From Ancient Wreck to Artists' Retreat!

Barbara Bloomfield
11 years ago
Hello - When we moved to our new house in Bristol, UK, we started work at the end of our long garden to turn an old workshop into a space we could use for giving creative writing and meditation workshops. I hope you like the results. The renovation cost about £18,000 and features cedar shingles, an aluminium trifold door which works like a dream, and a porthole I bought for £80 from a ship's chandler's. We absolutely loved the space over this summer and used it as a poet's hideaway. I planted a 'meadow' outside from a box of seeds - it quickly grew to about 4 ft. high and rampaged with grasses and wild flowers - amazing! cheers, Barbara
www.writefromtheheart.co

Comments (20)

• Jonathan Graham
    11 years ago
    great makeover!
  • hollybar
    11 years ago
    I'll admit I might have torn the whole thing down.How wonderful that you had the vision to see the possibilities. Beautifully done.
  • Barbara Bloomfield
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Thank you both. We managed to utilise three existing walls and our builders, Doug and Ella, were right to suggest we should extend the building out to the front. we now have a space about four metres square, great for workshops and as a spare room.
  • Melissa Cee
    11 years ago
    Love this idea and the shingles and doors! Congratulations - Thank you for sharing with everyone!
  • lefty47
    11 years ago
    HI -- You Brits always have such a talent with your gardens ! Love the yard -- good job Barbara B !
  • joannagardenwoman
    11 years ago
    Great job.. I could spend time there quite happily
  • vitalnrg
    11 years ago
    Very nice results!
  • Barbara Bloomfield
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Thank you all so much for your kind comments. Please contact me if you are interested in future creative writing and meditation workshops. Then you can come and hang out in the 'shed.' cheers!
    Barbara
  • sylvestercat
    11 years ago
    Thanks for sharing, helps with our creative juices too..... did great.
  • PRO
    Studio S Squared Architecture, Inc.
    11 years ago
    great project, looks like a great workspace
  • PRO
    City Girls Decor
    11 years ago
    Love it Barbara! Congrats!
  • cyn222
    11 years ago
    People with vision! Beautiful job!
  • PRO
    Paradise Restored Landscaping & Exterior Design
    11 years ago
    cyn22 - copy that remark regarding vision - looking over these 'before and afters' I am constantly reminded of human ingenuity and creativity - Barbara - this is a great use of space and well done - poet's hideaway . . . my mother and her mother were great poets - so glad to hear someone enjoying the gift of verse . .
  • Barbara Bloomfield
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Thank you all so much for your nice comments. I didn't expect to get ANY comments!
  • Melinda Donnell
    11 years ago
    Lovely!
  • PRO
    Urian Arts Center Philippines
    11 years ago
    great make-over! your artistry saved hundreds of dollars to create a lovely and functional space!
  • User
    11 years ago
    Finally! Some one who does not believe everything is disposable..
  • btydrvn
    7 months ago

And how smart to add the deck…extending the space into the outdoors on a nice day..as well as so much more access to the fresh air with the bi-fold doors…and more than that ..a dreamy guest area for visiting friends..

• enajasereht
    7 months ago

Love a good before and after!